Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Leaf-footed Bug (Leptoglossus phyllopus) nymph

5/15/2012
found a little orange ant-like bug hanging out on a plant. according to THIS WEBSITE, it is the nymph of an assasin bug. (Hemiptera/Heteroptera: Reduviidae)
Quite possible the assassin bug species (Zelus Longipes), based on what I found HERE.
But then again, it could be a leaf-footed bug, based on THIS page. Yes, on second thought, it most DEFINATELY is. See HERE at this link, you can see the similarity much better.

This guy was mega tiny so, even though the pictures aren't perfect, they're still pretty fabulous for capturing detailed pictures of an insect about the size of a regular fire ant.
This is not my picture, but it shows the difference and similarity of what I thought it was. 
So I found a toddler Leaf-footed bug. Interesting. Leptoglossus phyllopus is it's scientific name. 
Here is some info about Mr. Pest. Because I cannot find any information about it other than **PEST CONTROL** I actually think it's kind of pretty :3






No comments:

Post a Comment