Sunday, April 1, 2012

Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia)

3/21/2012
Okay... I'm going to be honest. My initial response to this little plant was shock. It resembles the cannabis plant's leaves very, very closely. Obviously I was in the field and did not have the ability to know whether or not it was and my friend, obviously unexperienced, told me it looked like poison sumac. What I had trouble understanding... was the purple ribbon tied around the base. I'm incredibly interested in figuring out what plant this is... marijuana or somac, I'm fascinated :). 
Okay, I've settled on the fact that it's definitely not cannabis, the leaves are not serrated enough. As well as the red tint the stems have and the green color/ leaf thickness is not correct. That's debunked. But one possibility I ran into was cleome. It could also be the common horse chestnut, ohio buckeye, red buckeye or yellow buckeye. 
Okay, fairly certain that this is a small Red Buckeye tree. 
This guy stumped me for awhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment