Sunday, March 18, 2012

Artist's Conk (Ganoderma applanatum)





3/18/2012
Today I stumbled upon a MASSIVE bracket fungus. I knocked a piece off so as to measure and determine its ID possibly. It was about 10 inches across, I don't know how far back it went. But the interesting thing was in the cross section, it seemed like it had regrown underneath itself 4 times, because there were 4 layers of older pores, with the bottom one covered in a white porous material which bruised. The cap itself was woody and hard, however the inside was fleshy. The pores, I believe,  are cinnamon brown. I say that because of the overlap between the few fungi and the powder on the lower caps. I was looking through my field guide and stumbled upon the Artist's Conk (Ganoderma applanatum). Description ideal. http://mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomartist.html sort of regret not drawing on it or something of the sort. Good thing theres some more still growing there!


^^The pores, up close.

http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/9865790

No comments:

Post a Comment