Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bowl-and-doily spider (Frontinella communis)

3/7/2012
Identifying spiders. Something I sort of cringe at the thought of, however this little guy was the only non-venusta orchard spider I ran into the entire day. So I tried to get some nice photos and figure out what he is! Found him in a small little tangle web between two branches on a crepe myrtle tree. He has a black abdomen but some white markings on the sides. 
I was browsing this website, with the presence of itching and uncomfortable sensations all over me (imagining spiders), and stumbled upon the Bowl-and-doily spiders (Frontinella communis). A quote from the website is that: "These spiders have typically showed up in the branches of small trees. Their webs have two parts, one that is bowl-shaped and another below it that is disk-shaped and looks like a doily. When prey lands on the "doily," the spider leaps down from the "bowl" and attacks it." I really wish I had paid more attention to the shape of the web. All I really noticed was it's tangled appearance. Gonna to a bit more research on it, however. See what I can find. http://bugguide.net/node/view/379115/bgimage
Fairly certain at this point. I'm going to say I'm 86% sure that this spider is Frontinella communis. Once again, no way to prove it but solely based on markings and characteristics. 



No comments:

Post a Comment