Monday, February 27, 2012

unIdentified russula

2/27/2012
So it's been raining a ton lately and I decided it was a good time to go and try to find some caps.
This was the first one I found. It was lying exactly as it can be seen in the first picture. the cap was disconnected from the stipe. It was growing in between a camelia and a crepe myrtle. 
I'm gonna flip through my field guide and see if I can identify it before I go into extensive details about it. 

due to cap features, I believe it's in the Russula family. 

meep.. no luck. 
characteristics:
Cap:
3 cm diameter
orangish/ burgundy color
convex to shield shaped
Gills:
yellow
free
pale yellow spore print
Stipe:
yellow
simple
no volva

3/20/2012 
Took a visit to the local library and flipped through the pages of National Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
Possibly:
a) False Caesar's Mushroom (542)
b) Blackish-Red Russula (703)
c) Emetic Russula (701)

a) Amanita parcivolvata
Matches most of description except for that the spore print is not white
Apparently there is much diversity in the shape of this mushroom, and that it is a definite posibility that the cap I found is just a flattened version of the mushroom. Will keep looking though, spore print had a definite yellow tint.

b) Russula krombholzii
Matches description except cap rather small, "Cap:2 3/8 - 4 3/4 [in] (6-12 cm)". Spore print matches! However the stem and gill color is too white.
Lookalikes R. fragilis, check that out here shortly. 

c) Russula emetica
Description of c is closer to specimen than b was.  
Everything fits except for the yellow flesh tint, the book's description says that that is a possibility but I don't find any references online that corroborate that statement. 
maybe the yellowing was something that occured with age? One cannot be certain.

d) Russula fragilis 
description does not match in many instances, spore print not white, flesh not white, and gills not attached (I think)
nope

It seems as if C is my best option, so I wonder what else I can find regarding it.
The cap images match perfectly and some of them have a yellow tint to their flesh. 
This ID is correct, I'm fairly certain at this point.

5/16/2012
while browsing a database after finding another russula, I stumbled upon the Russula cessans. SEE.
actually a valid possibility so I'm going to look at the details again.
Then again, LOOK HERE, it might be a russula cystidiosa. this is getting complicated...

^^ how I found the cap. disconnected.




http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/9198537

No comments:

Post a Comment