Saturday, February 25, 2012

Venusta Orchard Weaver (Leucauge venusta)

2/24/2012
Never been much into bugs, especially not spiders. But I figure maybe if I learn more about them, I might not be so irrationally afraid of them. In my little park excursion I passed a small spider balancing in it's tightly spun web and I decided to take a picture and identify. 
Basically, with only a little bit of digging, I uncovered that it is most likely a Venusta Orchard Weaver, based of comparisions made to pictures and descriptions on this website: http://www.spiderzrule.com/venusta.htm
however, it states that in this species there are several varieties. The one I found is one with red markings on it's underbelly. It's scientific name is Leucauge venusta. 
I put my hand behind it so the camera could get a good focus. AND IT DID!! See the picture below, you can see the hairs on the spider's legs. eerie...







No comments:

Post a Comment