Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dye-Makers False Puffball (Pisolithus tinctorius) III

post for specimen gathered on 2/21/2012

Club mushroom hypothesis...

So while foraging around today I discovered two very interesting mushrooms.
What made them so interesting was their similarity to the club mushroom I found Sunday, February 19.
look at these:

in the library now with the book and I found this:
Dye-maker's False Puffball
Pisolithus tinctorius
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/jun2003.html
hmmm it looks like it but not completely...
then I found this
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6643.asp
Pisolithus arrhizus
maybe.... I feel so close...
oh then I found out P tinctorius is the same as P arrhizus -____-


SOLVED on 3/7/2012 


First one:
^^ accidentally poked a hole in it with a stick :/



Second one:

^^ roots and stalk basically identical to sunday's


^^ I rubbed it on the ground. notice that looks almost IDENTICAL to the other one, the one from sunday. I believe that the first one might have been a very old version of this one?


No comments:

Post a Comment