Monday, February 27, 2012

Coralberry (Arsidia crenata)

2/27/2012
forraging and exploring, once again!
first off, found a small shrub that produced bright red berries
should be pretty straightforward
characteristics:
leaves:
8 cm long 
2.5 cm wide
branched veins
leanceolate shape
pointed
sinuate/ wavy edge
berries:
red
.7 cm diameter
reddish stem

while trying to identify a wildflower, I ran upon this listed under "CAUTION INVASIVE SPECIES" 
well, at least now I know what it is!
it's called coralberry, or christmas berry. (Arsidia crenata)
"Coral ardisia is listed by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council (a non-governmental organization) as a category I species, defined as an introduced species that is invading and disrupting native plant communities in Florida. In many areas, coral ardisia has become a significant pest. " - floridata

Fascinating. However I find no disruption present so, I am not going to interfere with this plant's life.



No comments:

Post a Comment