Monday, February 27, 2012

White velvety cap

2/27/2012
another spotting of a cap mushroom with gills.
This one was quite a find! It was growing, I'm not sure if it was on or just right next to, a fallen camphor tree. Two caps were found!
characteristics:
Cap:
3 cm diameter
velvety feel
one is completely white
other mostly white, but has orangish/ brown spot
both had weird cap-like thing on top. wart-like but not suite. unsure
convex to shield shaped
Gills:
free
white
Stipe:
curved
volva present
Other:
rather fragile

Spores:
cinnamon brown





^^located under some brush lucky I spotted it!

3/20/2012 
Took a visit to the local library and flipped through the pages of National Audobon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms

The only possibility I encountered was the Tiny Volvariella (678)
No, the description of the volvariella would require it to be too small, the spore print to be salmon-pink, and pink gills. The specimen I found cannot be.
I found a website that stated that Volvariella hypopithys is a look alike so I'm going to look into that.
I cannot find a reputable description that matches the specimen but I feel I am intensely close.
Volvariella volvacea is another speciation, and a viable possibility.
http://www.shroomery.org/11298/Volvariella-volvacea
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/volvariella_volvacea.html
however, once again, unless I was completely wrong in my spore print... the spores are not salmon pink....
The only thing that makes me second guess myself is... See the first picture there, right below all this text. The spot on that cap looks salmony-pink possibly. Then that same cap, later on in the post when I took the caps inside and took pictures there, turns out to be cinnamon brown. The possibility I am discussing here, is that what if the natural light hits the spores differently and makes it seems to be different colors from artificial light. I suppose I could take the old spore print outside and check it out if I still have it, which I believe I do, and see if it changes. 




^^ spore print placing. Not finished yet. Will get back and update later
^^ moved the placing around a little. Cinnamon brown spores. Moist cap got the print somewhat wet. Seems like there might have been some wind disturbance coming from the top of the picture? Sealed container... O.O

http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/9106672

No comments:

Post a Comment